- Being one of the most popular, Christmas is recognized by millions every year.
- Jewish boys have their bar mitzvah on or around their 13th Birthday.
- In some Asian countries, the 14th Birthday marks the day that the boys and girls become men or women in their society.
- In Hispanic countries, the quinceanera celebration traditionally recognizes a girl's 15th Birthday.
"Caleb"
- 400M Run
- 8 Walking Lunges
- 8 Box Jumps (24")
(8 rounds for time)
You could hear the gasps throughout the gang. "Does that say 8 rounds? EIGHT?" Season said. "My legs aren't 100% so this should be interesting" Pete said as he looked at me. My sentiments exactly. However, as tight as I was and how stiff my quads and hamstrings felt, I was actually fairly pleased with the selection. I figured and thought "if this doesn't loosen up the soreness, I don't know what else will." Bill got us all in order and we began the beginning of a near 15:00 mobility drills and stretching routine pre-WOD. As we warmed up and stretched, the typical gang chatter began.
"8 rounds for time. I don't know about anyone else, but I might have to stop and drop a heater around round 4." - Matty Lo
While all of us gang members pride ourselves on our hard work and competitiveness, we never said that there weren't known for some off-the-wall commentary from time to time. Off-the-wall in this case could be mildy disgusting to some, but to us it's more like college frat house humor. As we're stretching, it was fairly quiet when Matt broke the ice with "8 rounds for time. I don't know about anyone else, but I might have to stop and drop a heater around round 4." Let the trash talking and taunting begin!
We actually encourage it. It helps us focus.
As the WOD kicked off, "The Show" took off like Forrest Gump returning the opening kick-off. Absolutely blazing speed. Trailing behind were Matt and then Pete. Still hobbling, I was deep in the pack working to find my pace. It was still very dark, temperature just under 60 and lightly misting, a glorious morning for some outdoor running! With the first two rounds completed Garth kept his foot on the gas while I stayed and paced off of Brittany. The Birthday girl was driven and going hard and clearly determined to do more than just represent the ladies; She was looking to take some of us guys to the cleaners. I started to loosen up and find a nice pace and then decided, as I trailed Brit by only a few steps, that it was time to get to work. I increased the pace until I was shoulder to shoulder with her and then in mid-stride turned to her and (and as she puts it) "accosted her" and said "Just remember, when it gets hard, YOU picked it. You have no one to blame but yourself." And, with that, off I went. I have to give her props, as I worked to keep and increase my pace, she held tough - REAL tough!
But you know, TOUGH clearly runs in the family. Not only was Brit gutting it out as she always does, but some mad props have to be given to her older brother, Nathan. Quietly he chiseled away at the WOD completing round after round. Nathan was going through this WOD RX'd and clearly was a man on a mission. While he openly admits that he doesn't like the fact that his sister may lap him - or anyone for that matter - he doesn't let it discourage him. Instead, he does what any true competitor would do; He focuses even more and pushes himself harder! With most of us finished, we all turned our attention to Nathan as he arrived back into the box after completing his 6th 400M run. We clapped and cheered while he lunged. We yelled words of encouragement while he repped out the box jumps. Round 7, same drill only louder cheering and yelling. Heading back to the box for the final 200M Matt ran out to run with him and out of nowhere, Nathan found his secret NO2 button and took off toward the box. He arrived winded and tired but gutted out the lunges and then finally all 8 reps of box jumps. "TIME!" he yelled and then....collapsed.
As I snapped the pictures and high-5'd him, I had a quick epiphany. "This is what it's all about. This is what makes the gang so special. This is what makes CrossFit Fire so special. It's not only about my progress, but it's about watching and encouraging everyone else's progress too." It's the moments like Nathan's effort and determination where you truly appreciate those around you. It's how you build respect for those that you ulimately battle with and against.
They say that Birthday's are a time for celebration and reflection. I'll say.
It was all that and then some for me that dark, misty Friday morning. While it was sister's Birthday and her day in which she dominated all of the women of CrossFit Fire, it was also big brother's day to showcase not only his inner will, but his sibling love for his sister.
Cleary, this was his way of respecting the "birth day" of baby sister. Clearly it's a day special to him. Clearly, he saw it as his opportunity - if not responsibility as her older brother - to subliminally communicate his appreciation for all they have shared. To me, if you could translate his efforts into words they would say: "THANK YOU" for being you. "THANK YOU" for being my sister. "THANK YOU" for being.....born!
Like I said, who doesn't love a Birthday?
BIGTIME efforts today, gang! Thanks for the B-L-A-S-T, Brit! Happy Birthday!
-tmo
Photos
--> Nathan's Box Jump (go BIG!)
--> Nathan, post "Caleb" (go BIG!)
--> The Gang on Brit's Birthday (go BIG!)
--> "Caleb" Whiteboard (go BIG!)
0 Response to "Brit's Birthday Bonanza!"
Post a Comment